Any adoption brings unique experiences and challenges which will require you to look at your life from different perspectives. As you think through this decision and whether or not it’s the right fit for your family, we encourage you to spend some time reflecting on the following questions;
- Are both parents on board with the adoption process?
- Which issues would you be willing to consider in an adopted child (i.e. drug-exposed, genetic birth defects, medical conditions in family history, etc.)?
- Are you open to all races?
- How much contact do you want with the birthparents after the birth of the baby?
- Have you considered the financial costs of adoption?
- Are you prepared for a possible failed adoption?